Critical Data Studies
Examining the ideological underpinnings of Big Data-enabled institutions and practices by combining algorithmic and qualitative methods of research.
Social Media Studies
Understanding how people use social media and how institutions like Twitter and Facebook influence politics and society.
Global Media and Politics
Looking at how differences in media systems and political cultures influence the work of journalists and news organizations, especially in the Global South.
Framing / Media Sociology
Investigating how news organizations frame contentious social and political issues, and understanding the cultural and sociological factors that produce these frames.
Faculty Leader, Algorithms, Big Data, & Culture Research Group, Bowling Green State University, 2017–
- Started the research group to facilitate collaboration with graduate students
- Group includes doctoral and master’s students working on multiple projects
- Produced one journal article and one ICA conference paper, which is also under review at a journal
Graduate Research Assistant, South Asia Institute, University of Texas at Austin, 2013–16
- Chief Editor of Sagar: A South Asia Research Journal, a student-led peer-reviewed journal
- In charge of planning and commissioning editorial content for the institute’s annual newsletter
- Helped write a successful proposal for a $2.5 million grant from the U.S. Dept. of Education
- Helped organize conferences and symposia; designed and produced the website for the 2016 Himalayan Studies Conference
Researcher, International Communication Research Group, University of Texas at Austin, 2015–16
- Led a collaborative research project on news coverage of political protests in developing nations
- Produced one refereed journal article and multiple conference papers
Researcher, Digital Media Research Program, University of Texas at Austin, 2012–15
- Led a collaborative research project on incidental exposure to news and political participation
- Helped design online surveys administered in the U.S. and the U.K.